Tuesday, September 29, 2009

While I'm Not For Bigger Government...



I think someone needs to start regulating corporate usage of the term Customer Service.

Two issues in 24 hours.

1. I upgraded from an old Playstation 3 to the a Playstation 3 Slim. As someone who has bought computers and switched purchased content like iTunes from the old computer to the new one, I was stunned to learn that it is darn near impossible to transfer purchases between consoles. After hours searching the internet for answers, I found one that put me directly into Sony's customer service cross-hairs. After being told numerous times that there was nothing they could do and that they couldn't wait for my system to update because they had "other people to help", I was defacto hung up on and am now determined that I will simply return the new system to the store.

2. I needed to replace an optical drive for a company computer because the one that was sold with the computer was D.O.P. (dead on purchase). Kyle, our tech support, started a service file and simply needed my to call to authorize the credit card deposit (don't get me started on why I have to put a deposit on a new drive that they will hold until they get the defective one back).

To refocus, they needed a credit card authorization and a ship to address for an existing service file.

20 MINUTES.

Customer service is tough from a management perspective. You can invest heavily in great people who take pride in helping customers find the right answer or you can see it as an obligation with low ROI and accept that miserable service is equally miserable to that of your competition.

I feel very fortunate to work with customer service people like Shelly and Kyle. Unlike Sony or Lenovo, they take pride in helping people, not just answering the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment