Thursday, December 17, 2009

Bravo-Luna-Oscar-Golf

PART I
PART II
PART III

In this blog series I’ve been grousing over my personal angst with long email addresses and the best way to allow your listener to receive and notate the proper address information that will allow future electronic discourse between the two of you.

A few months ago, I blogged about our corporate name change from 3D Conferencing to 3DVE. I like “Delta-Victor-Echo”. It’s easy except that I sometimes forget the correct NATO words and say “Delta-Volcano-Egg” but hey, the correct information is heard and understood. HOOAH!

I once joked that I wanted to work for a company named BOB so my email address could end with “bob.com”. It’s short, easy to say, easy to pronounce and easy to spell even if it’s the Monday after Thanksgiving and you just returned on the Red Eye flight having had no sleep since the previous Wednesday since you’ve been camping on the ancient hide-a-bed in your mom’s basement. 3DVE is almost as good as BOB. Thank you, Law of Attraction.

OK, here’s where I circle around to the beginning of this blog series and my whole point. If you are a speaker on a web conference and you are going to allow people to contact you after the fact with questions, comments or requests for further information, you should include your name, in written format, as part of your presentation. Make it larger than the surrounding font, in bold letters, maybe even a contrasting color and point it out for your audience (just in case their eyes wandered while they were multitasking) AND leave it on the screen long enough for someone to borrow a pen and make sure that pen works on the back of their hand. I find Sharpies work really great for this.

If you find yourself speaking your email address over an audio connection only, have that advance conversation with your self about the best way to convey your email address. Remember that we are a world-wide community now and not everyone in your attendance has English as their first language. Speak slowly, enunciate, clarify letters that may sound like other letters using the NATO phonetic alphabet (or other words of your choice) and repeat.

Regards;
SIERRA – HEDGEHOG – ECHO – LOLLIPOP – LOLLIPOP - YETI

PART I
PART II
PART III

No comments:

Post a Comment